The County of Wellington has a strong economic development focus.
It is aimed at supporting, building and facilitating the connection of resources, contacts and supply chain opportunities.
The County has made a commitment to economic development with the creation of the Economic Development Strategic Plan, which works to support and increase economic activity within the County of Wellington.
The City of Guelph is focused on economic growth and opportunity. Goal 3 of its Strategic Plan is “A diverse and prosperous local economy” with the following Strategic Objectives:
- Thriving and sustainable local employment opportunities.
- One of Ontario’s top five and Canada’s top ten places to invest.
- The highest ratio of any southern Ontario city of people who live and work in the same community.
- A diverse and skilled workforce.
- The city as a tourist destination of choice.
Guelph is a welcoming city for any new business, offering competitive land and building development and business operating costs partnered with a variety of employment lands and buildings to suit most business needs. Find out more at the Guelph Economic Development Office and by reading Prosperity 2020 the ten-year Economic Development and Tourism Strategy whose strategic goal is to have a “diverse and prosperous economy”.
Take a look at what some of Guelph’s agri-food and innovation companies have to say about doing business in our city.
Other Economic Development Offices across Guelph Wellington
The Township of Centre Wellington has an Economic Development Strategic Plan to stimulate and guide economic growth for the community by providing a vision and focus for Centre Wellington’s economic development efforts. Five key principles form the basis of this plan:
1. Manage and channel growth that will inevitably come to Centre Wellington, in order to ensure that it is both appropriate and sustainable.
2. Provide the necessary infrastructure and related environment to provide for the needs of growth and investment.
3. Focus on the retention and expansion of the existing base of industry, identifying and meeting the needs of existing businesses and exemplifying a proactive and anticipatory attitude towards business investment and development.
4. Build on key clusters in the local and regional economy where Centre Wellington has a strong competitive or comparative advantage.
5. Economic Development in Centre Wellington will be pursued within the context of a healthy community overall, and following the principles of Smart Growth.
The Township of Wellington North Economic Development Office provides assistance with a wide range of items and business needs including Market Research, Access to Resources, Advocacy and Site Selection services and invites you to explore the many development opportunities that exist within the municipality.
Other Useful Resources
The Guelph Chamber of Commerce builds prosperity in the community one business at a time. The Guelph Chamber of Commerce is committed to supporting the goals of its members with services, products and networking opportunities. Small businesses in particular benefit by joining forces to get group benefit and cost reductions. Since 1868, the Guelph Chamber of Commerce has been working with its members to shape and grow Guelph Wellington. Check out the businesses in Guelph Wellington by searching the Connect Guelph Business Directory.
The staff at the Guelph Wellington Business Enterprise Centre are experts in business start-ups, early growth and self-employment and have been working with and helping local area business, start-ups, professionals, students and newcomers with many business needs and challenges for over 10 years.
The Centre Wellington Chamber of Commerce is a member-driven organization that:
Serves as a catalyst for business growth through networking and educational opportunities.
Acts as an information resource for local business.
Promotes local business, the community and the Chamber.
We are a volunteer organization supported by over 350 local business and professional people such as yourself.
Your participation in the Chamber helps make Centre Wellington a more rewarding place to live, work and play.