Learning English

Learning English

English as a Second Language (ESL)

There are many organizations in Guelph Wellington to assist you in learning, advancing and practicing your English language skills.

In Canada, most newcomers who are permanent residents are eligible for free government-funded language classes.

These language programs have many advantages:

  • Classes are taught by qualified instructors.
  • They are often available in a classroom with a small group of other adults or through distance education (that is, on the Internet or through printed materials sent to you at home).
  •  Classes can be full-time or part-time, during the day, evening or on weekends.
  • They provide language training and information to help you settle in Canada.
  •  Some programs may offer funding to cover the cost of child care while you are studying and the cost of transportation to and from your classes. Child-care services are sometimes available on site.

There are a number of different types of language classes available:

  • General language classes at many levels.
  • Classes that teach advanced and workplace-specific language skills.
  • Classes that teach literacy and language (for people who have difficulty reading and writing in any language).
  • Classes for people with special needs.

Registering for Government-Funded Language Classes

To begin language classes funded by the federal government, you must first get an assessment. This assessment is simply to find out your current language skills. The assessment is free and it measures your Canadian Language Benchmark. This is not the same as a TOEFL or IELTS test that you may have done as part of your immigration.

To get an assessment, visit Immigrant Services Guelph-Wellington for their Coordinated Language Assessment and Referral System (CLARS).

Language Assessment Centre
926 Paisley Road, Units 4-5, Guelph

After your assessment, staff will help you decide what language class is best for you. They will also provide you with a referral to a school so that you can begin classes.

If you would like to find out your current language level before doing a formal language assessment, you can complete the self-assessment test.