Regulated and Unregulated Jobs

Regulated and Unregulated Jobs


Regulated  Jobs

Many professions set their own standards for how their profession is practised. These are called regulated occupations. In Canada, about 20 percent of jobs are in occupations regulated by the provincial or territorial governments. Through legislation and regulations, the provinces and territories give professional organizations the authority to regulate certain professions. The role of these organizations is to protect public health and safety and to ensure that professionals meet the required standards of practice and competence.

Each regulated occupation sets its own requirements for getting a licence or certificate, usually through the provincial or territorial regulatory body or professional association. The Working in Canada website can tell you if your profession is a regulated one or not.

If you want to work in a regulated occupation and use a regulated title, you must have a licence or certificate or be registered with the body responsible for regulating your occupation in the province or territory where you plan to work.

Some fields where regulated occupations are commonly found include:

  •  Health care
  •  Financial services
  •  Law and legal services
  • Engineering
  • Other regulated occupations include skilled trades or apprenticeable trades.

Requirements for entry into a regulated occupation can vary between provinces and territories. They usually include:

  • Examinations
  • An evaluation of language and communication skills
  • An evaluation of your credentials
  • A specified period of supervised work experience
  • Fees


Unregulated Occupations

A non-regulated occupation is one you can work in without a licence, certificate or registration. Most jobs in Canada are in non-regulated occupations.

Requirements for employment vary between employers. However, always be prepared to show that you have the education, experience and skills to do the job.

You will have to demonstrate a certain level of skill or competence, to have a specific amount of education, and even to have the right personal qualities and soft skills for the job. For example, the field of marketing is not regulated, but most employers will expect you to have a degree or a certificate in business and some specific training or experience in marketing.

It is up to the employer to decide whether the qualifications you have earned outside Canada are equivalent to the Canadian qualifications needed for the job.