Colleges and Universities

Colleges and Universities, also called Post-Secondary Institutions are the responsibility of the province’s Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities.

In Canada, universities are independent institutions that are partly funded by government although you must still pay tuition fees.

Universities offer programs that lead to different types of degrees in many disciplines and subjects. A bachelor’s degree is the basic degree awarded by Canadian universities and generally takes three to four years to complete. A master’s degree is a more advanced degree that usually requires one to three additional years of study. A doctoral degree is the most advanced degree offered by Canadian universities and generally requires three or more years of study and research following a master’s degree.

In regulated professions, such as medicine, law and education, students must complete an internship or pass a standardized examination in addition to completing their degree. They must complete all of these steps before they can become licensed to work in their profession.

Guelph Area Post-Secondary Institutions

The University of Guelph
50 Stone Road East
Guelph ON N1G 2W1

Wilfrid Laurier University
75 University Avenue West
Waterloo ON N2L 3C5

Conestoga College Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning
299 Doon Valley Drive
Kitchener ON N2G 4M4

The University of Waterloo
200 University Avenue West
Waterloo ON N2L 3G1