Permanent Residence Card

Permanent resident card

The Permanent Resident Card (also called a PR card), a wallet-sized plastic card, is the official proof of your status as a permanent resident in Canada. All permanent residents who want to re-enter Canada on a commercial carrier (airplane, boat, bus or train) must show this card.

You can also use your Permanent Resident Card as an identification document (ID) in various circumstances – for example, to request other government documents (health card, Social Insurance Number), to access government services or to open a bank account.

If you are a new permanent resident, you will automatically receive your card as part of the immigration process. Before you get your PR card, you will get a “Confirmation of Permanent Residence Letter” that gives the same rights as the card and that you can use until the card comes in the mail several weeks later. This means you can access services right away. You do not have to wait to receive your PR card.

You will receive your PR card by mail at your address in Canada. If you do not have a Canadian mailing address before you arrive in Canada, you must provide your new address to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) as soon as possible after you arrive. If you change your address in Canada before you receive your card in the mail, inform CIC of your new address. You can do this online or by calling CIC at 1-888-242-2100.

You can apply for a new Permanent Resident Card if yours has expired, or if it has been stolen or lost. If your address has changed, you should notify CIC as indicated above. For further information and questions on the Permanent Resident Card, visit the CIC site, or call CIC at the number above.